Monday, February 15, 2010

AAYIRATHIL ORUVAN

“This is the best movie I have seen in tamil” said one of my friends. Another one said “so far I have seen this movie four times”. After hearing these comments I saw this movie with great expectation. In general I like to watch fantasy movies and to my expectations the first half of the film had the kind of material which I like.

Selva Raghavan gave a twist in second half by saying that Reema , the Police squad head and the minister are Pandyas and they are here to take revenge against Cholas and to take back the idol of their God. The war between Chola and Pandyas was in 13th century. The world have changed a lot in this 800 years but there is a gang which still awaits for a revenge. I don’t know how it is possible. British people treated our ancestors as slaves for 300 years and they took our wealth. But the circumstances have changed and now we don’t have any hatred for them.

Some argues how it is possible for Reema to bring the painting of Tiger on her body. Let us take “All is Fair in Fantasy” and leave such things. But SR brings Indian Government into this issue. Indian Government sends our Army and Air Force to kill thousands of innocent Indian people who didn’t do any harm to our country. India is a country in which we hesitate to give death sentence even to murderers and terrorists but here our Government kills thousands of people without giving a single thought. I don’t know how the minister convinced our Government to do this.

It also had other flaws like Karthi getting some super natural power suddenly , Ravi using a cell phone which has charge for so many days and also the film had many unwa nted scenes. In fantasy you can have your own set of logics but when you bring the real world in your film, you can’t create some new logics and rules to fit your story.

The good thing about this movie is SR have tried something new. Tamil in the second half is nice to hear. I don’t consider this as a best movie. Trying something new doesn’t make the movie as the best. But I would like to appreciate SR for his attempt and I expect a much better film from a director like him.

No comments: